Skip to main content

IVY GUARD GRAVY / KOVAKKAI MASALA


Hi  All,
Here there is a take away where we use to buy sabji ,gravies very often. Once I tasted a gravy there . It was puli kuzhambu (Gravy with tamarind) which was made with ivy guard (Kovakkai) . It was awesome. Till then I was making only porial and fries with ivy guard. First time I tasted it as gravy and we all loved it.
Then I started searching ivy guard recipes in Karnataka cuisine and my neighbour gave me this recipe.Here they add ground peanuts, sesame in many foods, likewise the gravy too made with sesame and groundnut.
Sesame and groundnut gives nice rich flavour also it adds the silky consistency to gravy.
Be careful while roasting the ingredients, make sure you don’t burn them. A little burning is enough to spoil the entire gravy, so always roast in low flame & keep an eye too.

Note:  that till date I have not found the exact recipe of what I tasted in that take away, once I got I will share you that recipe too.
 
The rich , yummy Ivy guard gravy recipe is as follows,
COOKING TIME : 30 mins.
SERVINGS : 4 members.

INGREDIENTS :
Ivy guard – ½ kg.
Onion – 1
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp.
Tamarind – 1 gooseberry sized .
Curry leaves - a sprig.
Oil – 1 tsp.
Salt – for taste.

FOR GRINDING :
Coconut – 3 tblsp.
Peanuts – 4 tblsp.
Coriander seeds – 1 ½ tblsp.
Dry red chillies – 6 nos.
Sesame seeds – 1 tbslp.
Tomato – 2.

METHOD :
1) Soak tamarind in warm water, extract juice and discard pulp.
2) In low flame dry roast peanuts , Coriander seeds, red chillies till golden brown.
3) Along with that add sesame seeds and let it start spluttering.
4) Add tomatoes and saute till mushy, then add grated coconut and saute for a minute and remove from flame.
5) Once cooled grind them to fine paste.
6) In pan heat oil , lengthwise chopped ivyguard,salt and saute till grown.
7) When vegs shrinks a bit and fried to soft add chopped onions, curry leaves ,saute till translucent.
8) Add ground masala,tamarind juice, turmeric powder, 2 cup water, cook in medium flame for 10 mins.
9) When vegs cooked and gravy reaches required consistency, remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
10)             The gravy goes very well with roti, dosa and even with rice.




 Happy Cooking!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have