Skip to main content

NONBU KANJI / BRIYANI KANJI


Hi All,
 This is my version of nonbu kanji, and the ingredients are used based in availability. This lockdown teaches us the simple and minimal lifestyle. Now we use available ingredients but still the taste of our final dishes are awesome. During my childhood one of our neighbour use to give us this kanji along with briyani for Ramzan, The taste will be awesome and unforgettable. Though she gave us the exact recipe and we tried it so many times but still I strongly feel, their porridge tastes awesome than ours.
Traditional Iftar kanji they make with raw rice but I was having a small amount of basmathi rice so I thought of utilizing it and used it for porridge.So named the dish as Briyani kanji.
Few pieces of chicken was lying in freezer for couple of days and I badly want to make this kanji.So before using it for other curries I made this porridge along with coconut thuvayal , a best combo for any porridge. 
Coconut thuvayal(recipe here) recipe shared in separate post. This recipe is based on the recipe shared by Mrs.Wahida . she gave me an amazing recipe and I changed according to our taste.
Here is the recipe for Ramzan kanji / Iftar porridge .
COOKING TIME : 45 mins.
SERVING : 4 members.
RECIPE INSPIRED FROM : MS.WAHIDA

INGREDIENTS :
Basmati rice -  1 cup ( traditional recipe is with raw rice) .
Yellow moong dal – ¼ cup
Chicken – ¼ kg.
Cinnamon – ½” – 1 pc
Cloves -2 no
Cardamom – 2 nos
Cumin – ½ tsp
Tomato – 1 no ( medium sized).
Mint – 1 handful
Coriander leaves – 1 handful ( I didn’t use due to non-availability).
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Garlic – 4 pods
Green chilli – 3 nos
Onion – 1 big
Salt – for taste.
Ghee -1 tsp.
Carrot, beans and vegs – ½ cup ( I didn’t add).

METHOD :
1) Wash and rinse basmati rice and grind it to coarse powder .
 2) Wash and rinse moong dal and keep it aside till use.
3) Slice onions, slit green chillies, chop tomatoes, garlic  to small pieces.
4) Heat ghee in cooker, add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon , garlic , green chillies and saute in very low flame till the aroma arises.
5) Add onions, ginger garlic paste, cumin and saute till dark brown ( don’t burn).
6) Add tomatoes and saute till mushy. Then add vegs, chicken and mix for a minute.
7) Now add rice, dal ,salt, mint and coriander leaves, 3 cups water, boil for 3 whistles.
8) When steam subsides, open the cooker, mix well and serve.
  NOTES :
1) Traditional recipe is made with raw rice , but I used Basmati rice.Due to basmati rice it has very strong briyani aroma so named it as briyani kanji.
2) Also you can add 2 tblsp grated coconut too, but I skipped it.

HAPPY COOKING!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou