Skip to main content

IDLI POWDER / IDLI MIALAGAI POWDER / IDLI PODI

Hi Everyone,
Even after getting my own laptop and broadband connection Iam not able to do blogging regularly:((.Now my kid started going to school so now double and double tension .Tomorrow is Ashley’s birthday so Iam totally busy with birthday preparations, though the party is going to be very simple the preparations are heavy for me . Husband is busy with his office so he refused to help me on this, he dropped the entire preparations on my head. So I dropped the idea of making anything for birthday and ordered everything from outside. I will share the birthday details tomorrow.
So coming back to recipe, Idli podi / Idli milagai podi is an important procession in my house. Without idlipodi I don't know how I will manage , It comes to handy and helps me in many times especially busy mornings and lazy night dinners.
I wont buy idli podi from stores as they are very grainy and too much chilli (also colour powder) so we will make it in home with healthy ingredients . There are many versions in making idli podi and you can either increase the ingredients or even decrease them according to availability of ingredients. Idli podi and coconut oil are the best combinations that goes great with idli and Dosa.
This is the standard recipe which my mum following it for years and till date my mum only makes idli powder for me. During shifting mum and dad came here to help me so she made idlipowder for me here itself. Then why to miss the chance I clicked the photos and noted the recipe too,
Here below our secret recipe for you too,

INGREDIENTS:
Tur dal / Thuvaram parupu – 1 cup
Green moong dal / Paasi Payiru – 1 cup
Horse gram / Kollu – 1 cup
Channa Dal / Kadalai Parupu – 1 cup
Urad dal / Ulantham parupu – 1 cup ( Black).
Roasted channa dal / Varukadalai – 1 cup
Curry leaves – 1 bunch
Asafoetida – 25 gms ( 3 tsp).
Pepper – 4 tsp
Groundnut – 1/4 cup
Salt – 4 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2 cup.
Rice -  2 cups (idli rice,raw rice or anytype of rice)


NEED CLARIFICATION ABOUT MY MEASUEMENTS? PLS CLICK TO CLARIFY



PREPARATION:

1) Dry Roast all the above ingredients one by one in a wide pan in low flame till golden brown and keep aside.



2) When all the ingredients are roasted to golden brown, grind them separately to coarse powder.
3) Mix everything and store in airtight container.
4) The recipe is so simple!! But it is healthy try it in home and enjoy.


NOTES:
1) Don't be in a hurry to roast everything, roast in low flame so that the ingredients get roasted evenly well and better shelf life.
2) You can even grind everything together but each ingredient has different texture so to grind them evenly grind separately.
3) If you have masala powder grinding mill nearby you can give there and grind for even texture.
4) You can add 1/4 cup sesame seeds also.
5) Try it in home then you will never go for store brought ones.

HAPPY COOKING!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have