Skip to main content

TOMATO KUZHAMBU / SPICY TOMATO GRAVY

Hi Everyone,

Today is big day for us!! yes yes the day when our parents spend all their savings without even looking into for what they are spending! Yes its our wedding day! Four years have been ran and still years are waiting to run.
Yesterday I planned to sit with my blog for the whole day but right from morning I didnt even do any work but I didnt touch my laptop also , only now by evening I opened my blog to post some recipes.
And todays recipe is Tomato kuzhambu ,our favourite kuzhambu . I will make this kuzhambu even when the tomato prices are in peak. This is very easy to make and yet it tastes tangy , yummy and spicy. The main advantage is you no need to fry anything just grind and boil and eat. So easy know!!
Tomato kuzhambu goes well with rice and also tastes awesome with Idli ,Dosa ,Paniyarama and Aappam too. My favourite is with idli ! Hot idlis soaked in tomato kuzhambu is divine..You should try it to know why Iam giving so many credits to this simple kuzhambu.
This recipe we were following for decades in Pollachi, but I don't know about other parts of Tamil Nadu as I haven't noticed this recipe in any blog(May be I could missed).
The simple recipe is as below,

INGREDIENTS:

Onions – 1/2 no (big onion).
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few.
Coriander leaves – a bunch (optional)
Salt – as required.

GRIND TO PASTE:
Tomato – 3 nos (medium sized)
Onions – 15 nos (Pearl onions).
Garlic – 4 to 5 pods.
Coriander seeds / coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin / zeera – 1/2 tsp.
Coconut – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Dry red chillies – 4 nos.
PREPARATION:

1) In blender grind onions , garlic , coriander seeds / powder , cumin , coconut , turmeric powder , dry red chillies to fine paste .Finally add tomatoes and give two pulse only ( tomatoes should not be grind to fine puree, coarse puree is enough).


2) Heat oil in a shallow vessel, followed by mustard, curry leaves, onions and fry till golden brown. when done add the ground masala, salt and boil till the gravy reaches required consistency.


3) When gravy thickens to kuzhambu consistency garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
4) Serve hot with Rice, Idli, Dosa and Panamanian of your choice.

HAPPY COOKING!!















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have