Skip to main content

ROASTED MASALA FISH KUZHAMBU / VARUTHU ARICHA MEEN KUZHAMBU

Hi Everyone,
ROASTED MASALA FISH KUZHAMBU!! My love for sea food never fades , I love all type of sea foods and cooking sea food is also like an art.The ingredients are less in sea food preparation but the ratios play important role in taste , aroma and quantity.
I make fish kuzhambu in many ways ,My mum use to say for Fish Kuzhambu the ingredients must be raw and should not be fried for grinding .But I noticed this recipe from Yummytummyarthi.com (I forgot in what name she posted it :( as I noted it long back) .In the recipe I noticed the coconut with few ingredients were roasted and ground to paste , As the recipe looks different from our traditional gravy I tried it with little changes in ingredients and also in ratios ,and the gravy was just yum yum.
I wanted to share it with you long back but I was struck up in little hectic schedule.Even now past two days I was thinking to post this recipe but in Bangalore the situation is not good here ,sudden violence and strike everything disturbed us a lot so I didn't feel like opening my blog.But today need to divert myself I thought of posting a recipe and relax myself.Blogging is my meditation,yoga etc etc.....

Try my some of other fish recipes ,
TRADITIONAL FISH KUZHAMBU
FISH FRY
DRY FISH GRAVY



Anyway the recipe is as below,

SERVINGS : 4 MEMBERS


INGREDIENTS :
Fish – 1/2 kg.
Onions – 5 nos ( small onions , In case of big onions use 1/2 onion).
Tomato – 1 no ( medium sized).
Curry leaves – a sprig
Tamarind – lemon sized ball.
Salt – as required.
Gingelly oil – 5 tsp.
Mustard – 1/4 tsp.
Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp.
Jaggery – 1 tsp.
Salt – as required.

FOR WASHING FISH:(OPTIONAL)
Rock salt – 1 tsp.
Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
Lemon juice – 1 tsp.

FOR ROASTING AND GRINDING:
Dry red chillies - 5 nos.
Coriander seeds – 3 tsp.
Cumin – 1 tsp

FOR GRINDING (WITHOUT ROASTING):
Coconut – 1 cup.
Onion – 2 no ( big).
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
Garlic – 5 pods.


METHOD :
  1. Dry roast roasting ingredients ( Dry red chillies , coriander seeds , cumin ) till golden brown and grind along with coconut , onion , garlic,turmeric powder ( Don't roast coconut,onion,garlic).

  2.  Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 mins ,extract juice and discard the pulp.
  3. Wash fish pieces with water well and add turmeric powder,chilli powder,lemon juice,salt ,mix well and let it rest for 1 hour.After 1 hour of resting wash the fish pieces again .This is done to remove the fish smell.
  4. In a wide kadai heat gingelly oil , add mustard and when mustard splutters add onions followed by curry leaves , fenugreek seeds and saute till golden brown.Then add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy.
  5. When done add tamarind water and boil till raw smell leaves the pan,now add jaggery , salt and boil once.
  6. Add ground masala , 1 cup of water and boil till raw smell of masala leaves and gravy reaches required thick consistency.


  7. Add the fish pieces to boiling gravy and boil in medium heat for 5 more mins.
    Switch off the flame when fish changes its colour to pale.

  8. In a small pan heat 1 tsp of gingelly oil and when oil reaches smoking hot remove the pan from heat , add 1 tsp of chilli powder to hot oil and let the chillipowder fry in oil heat itself.When chilli powder changes to dark colour add to kuzhambu and mix once.
  9. Let the kuzhambu rest for minimum 1 hour for the flavors to blend well with eachother.
  10. When serving heat the kuzhambu to warm temperature and serve.

NOTES :
  1. We don't like fish smell so I marinate and wash to remove fish smell.This process is optional you can even skip it.
  2. Step 8 is optional , but it gives nice flavor and colour so I insist this step.
  3. Add fish pieces only when gravy reaches thick consistency , as fish itself will leave water so gravy will get diluted after adding fish.
  4. After adding fish don't boil for more than 5 mins , over boiling will break the fish pieces and fish will get dissolved in gravy.So take care after adding fish.



HAPPY COOKING!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou