Skip to main content

BITTERGUARD CHIPS / PAVAKAI FRY

Hi All,

Bitterguard!!! This vegetable is my favorite all the time:) ,I can eat it even with its bitter taste.
So I make it often even though my husband and kid doesn't like it.Actually bitter guard is very good for health and it has many beneficiary vitamins to our health.My mum makes bitterguard dishes without its bitter taste ,I really don't know how she gets rid for its bitter taste even though I follow the same recipe but I cannot bring her perfection, Its experience :)).

I make kuzhambu(gravy) , poriyal(stir fry) often but I never tried chips out of it.We use to get this Bitterguard chips from stores and I will eat it completely .This chips will accompany with any rice amazingly and also you can have it as snacks.Whenever I buy this chips from store I will think I should make it myself but after finishing the packet I will forget about it.

This time two small bitterguards were left over in my fridge and my husband requested me not to make any dish for him with that,So suddenly I got this idea and tried it.The fry came out to be super good and yummy .It was super crispy , spicy and yummy and most important thing is not bitter taste at all ......

Lets look into the recipe ,Pls follow the instructions without skipping any step to get non bitter bitterguard fry,

INGREDIENTS :
Bitterguard – 2 nos ( medium sized)
Curd – 2 cups
Salt – 2 tsp ( I used rock salt).
Instant Bajji mix – 2 tsp ( In case you don't have bajji mix pls see the notes).
Rice flour – 1 tsp.
Salt – 1 tsp (as required)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig.
Oil –For deep frying.


PREPARATION :
  1. Wash and slice the bitterguard to thin circles , slice as thin as possible and deseed them.
  2. In a bowl add curd , rock salt and bitterguard and mix well that bitterguard should be covered with curd completely.
  3. Leave the soaked bitterguard undisturbed for 4 to 5 hours minimum ( I left in fridge overnight).
  4. Next day or after 5 hours drain the curd and wash the bitterguard with running water for 30 seconds.
  5. Now add the bajji mix , salt ,rice flour and mix well and leave for 10 mins.



  6.  Heat oil in a kadai and when oil get smoking hot add the marinated bitterguard batch by batch and deep fry in oil till brown.
  7. Remove from flame and drain the oil completely.Finally add curry leaves in oil and fry till it changes the colour and add to fried bitterguard chips.
  8. Thats all!! Serve hot or store in a airtight container and enjoy for a week.

NOTES :
  1. The more you slice thin the better taste and crispy.
  2. If you do not use Bajji mix then replace the following instead of bajji mix - mix 1 1/2 tsp of besan flour , 1/2 tsp chilli powder , a pinch of asofoetida to bitterguard and rest of the ingredients remain same.
  3. Make sure oil is piping hot before adding bitterguard slices and fry till brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou