Skip to main content

JELABIS

Hi,

Most of the sweets what we think very tough to prepare are actually very easy to make.
One such sweet is Jelabi , I love jelabi for its juicy,colourful and aromatic flavour.
I was thinking jelabi is a magic sweet and it requires some different ingredients ,and only experts can make it.I realized my justification was wrong when I saw my sister made this jelabis ,Though my sister is not much interested in cooking but she is good in making sweets.She gave me this recipe along with tips.
I noted the recipe but didn't get time to make , finally after many viewers request for Jelabi recipe I pushed myself to prepare for this Dussehra.As I don't want to make Jelabis with Maida / All purpose flour ( due to its health issues) I used using Urad dal ( which is little healthier compared to maida).
I cannot comment on the jelabis shape as I am never expert in making shapes but i can assure the taste , they are little crisp at outer with spongy,juicy inside ,melts in mouth.
The recipe is very very easy , only thing you need to concentrate is sugar syrup consistency .Pls follow the ratios and follow the recipe exactly to get perfect home made jelabis.

SERVINGS : 20 JELABIS.
SUGAR SYRUP RECIPE SOURCE : MR.RAMAKRISHNAN ( FOUNDER OF OPOS COOKING).

The recipe is as below,

INGREDIENTS :
Urad dal – 1/2 cup.
Sugar – 1 cup.
Water – 1/2 cup.
Red food colour – a pinch.
Rose essence – 4 drops.
Cardamon – 1 no.
Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
Oil / ghee – for deep frying ( I used refined oil).



PREPARATION :
  1. Soak urad dal in water for 1 hour.
  2. Grind them in grinder without water , if required sprinkle very little water.After grinding the batter must be puffy and not watery.
  3. In small pressure cooker ( 3 litres) add sugar , 1/4 cup water ,close the cooker and boil in high heat for 7 whistles.
    Right consistency of sugar syrup

  4. Immediately release pressure and open the cooker , add peeled cardamon , rose essence,lemon juice and mix well , keep it aside till use.
  5. In a bowl add urad dal batter , food colour and mix well.

  6. Take a thick poly cover and fold it to cone shape , make a peanut size hole at the bottom of cone and fill it with batter.
  7. Heat oil in a wide kadai and drop a little batter to the oil , if the batter immediately comes to top ,then its right time to fry the jelabis.
  8. Squeeze the batter in circles in hot oil and fry till crispy ( may be it takes 2 mins) .
  9. When done remove from oil and drop them in sugar syrup immediately.

  10. After 5 mins of soaking remove from syrup and place them in another bowl.
  11. Same way fry and soak the entire batter.
  12. Thats all!! Enjoy hot or cold jelabis ..Hot jelabis will be little crispy ,After 3 to 4 hours the jelabis will turn to super soft.

NOTES :
  1. Grind batter to thick consistency.
  2. Instead of thick polybag , you can use cotton cloth too ,make a small hole in middle of cloth and fold it to cone shape.
  3. Squeezing batter is tricky process , make sure the oil is in right temperature.Also when you start squeezing a circle ,squeeze the batter fast to form circles. If you squeeze the circle slowly the circles will not hold its shape and you will not get layered jelabis.
  4. No need to soak the jelabis in syrub for long time( it will turn very mushy) , 5 mins is enough.
  5. If you are familiar with OPOS cooking then you must be aware of cooker sugar syrup.If you do not want to try in cooker , you can make in open vessel.Just boil the sugar syrup till it thickens just before one string consistency ( as after removing from heat it will thickens little).Lemon juice is added to avoid crystallization.

My little daughter tasting my jelabis..before I finish my photoshoot she picked one by one from photoshoot plate and finished almost half of the jelabis..


















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou