Skip to main content

ONION PICKLE / VENGAYA URUGAI IN COOKER ( OPOS METHOD)

Hi Friends,

ONION PICKLE...Tomato prices has started up but onion prices are going down.So I started making more dishes with onion . We are already bored of tomato thokku as I made all varieties of tomato thokku and preserved more .So now I stopped making tomato pickles and switched to onions.
I made this pickle through OPOS (ONE POT ONE SHOT) technique which is the world's most easiest and delicious way of cooking.I referred the garlic pickle recipe card and changed the recipe as per my taste and cooked.No frequent stirring , no fear of burning ,the entire pickle was ready in 10 mins.
The step by step pictures and recipe is as below,

RECIPE SOURCE : OPOS ( Founder Mr.Ramakrishnan).
SERVINGS : 250 gms.

INGREDIENTS :
Onion ( pearl ) - 1 1/2 cup.
Sesame oil – 1/8 cup.
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp ( or as required ,I used stone salt).
Chilli powder – 2 tsp.
Coriander powder – 2 tsp.
Jaggery – 1 tsp .
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp.
Tamarind – 1 lemon sized ball.

FOR PICKLE POWDER :
Mustard / Kadugu– 1 tsp.
Cumin / Zeera – 1 tsp.
Fenugreek / Vendhayam – 1/2 tsp.



METHOD :
    1. Dry roast mustard , cumin , fenugreek separately till aroma comes and grind to little coarse powder.

    2. Peel onions and crush the bigger sized onions slightly ( I used pestle to crush).
    3. Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 mins and extract the juice ( discard the pulp).
    4. In your 2 or 3 ltrs cooker , add oil followed by onions , ground pickle powder , salt , chilli powder , coriander powder , asafoetida , jaggery and finally tamarind juice.

    5. Close the cooker and boil in high heat for 3 whistles .
    6. After 3 whistles switch off the flame and release the pressure immediately and mix once.

    7. If you feel the pickle is too watery you can boil for 3 more minutes until they form thick paste.


    8. Once reached room temperature store in airtight glass bottles and serve.

NOTES :
    1. You can increase the chilli powder 2 more tsp for more spiciness.
    2. Bigger onions will not absorb the masala well so they are crushed slightly , if your onions are smaller in size no need to crush ( I crushed half of the onions and rest half I added as it is).
    3. Don't use mixer to crush onions as they will grind onions instead of crushing so try it in hand with pestle or reverse side of knife.
    4. HAPPY COOKING!







Comments

  1. Do we need to store in the fridge. Awesome recipe. I am going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storing in fridge helps for longer life. If you making small batches then no need to store in fridge. But i recommend refrigeration.

      Delete
  2. This article is really the one that I needed. I really learned a lot by reading the whole content. Thanks for this.
    Shop Garlic pickle online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou