Skip to main content

BOTTLEGOURD DOSA

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக் 

Hi All,
BOTTLEGOURD DOSA! If you see my earlier post , you will know how important is dosa batter in my home , without dosa batter Iam struck 😓
So I always make varieties of dosa batter in home and this bottlegourd is one of the healthy dosa which I make often.You can make dosa with few vegetables and I will try to share those recipes too asap.
Last week I saw a small piece of bottlegourd was leftover in refrigerator and somewhat I felt very bored to make anything out of it , so I thought of feeding them to my family 😊😊😊 and made this dosa batter .My family will eat anything in form of dosa 😍
Healthy , yet yummy bottlegourd recipe is below,

INGREDIENTS :
Raw Rice – 2 cups.
Urad dal – 1/4 cup.
Bottlegourd – 1 1/2 cup ( chopped).
Red chillies – 4 nos.
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp.
Curry leaves – a sprig.
Ginger – 1” piece – 1 no.
Cumin – 1 tsp.
Salt – as required.
Ghee / oil – 1 tsp.

METHOD :
  1. Wash and rinse rice,urad dal well and soak in water for 4 hours or more.
  2. Scrap the skin of bottlegourd and remove the seeds,chop them to small pieces.
  3. Grind the chopped bottlegourd to fine puree.
  4. Grind red chillies , curry leaves , ginger , asafoetida , cumin to fine paste with little water.
  5. Using blender or grinder grind soaked rice and urad dal together with enough water to fine paste.
  6. When rice and dal grind to fine paste , finally add bottlegourd puree , ground chillies paste(step 4) to rice mixture and grind once for even mixing.
  7. Add salt , mix well and let the batter ferment for 5 hours or overnight.
  8. Heat dosa tawa , spread 2 drops of ghee evenly on tawa.
  9. Pour a ladle full of dosa batter on tawa and using your ladle spread the batter evenly to form a thin circle.
  10. Drizzle few drops of oil over the boiling dosa and let the dosa boil in medium flame till brown.
  11. Using spatula flip the dosa to next side and boil for 2 more mins.
  12. Remove from flame and serve hot with your favorite side dish .Onion chutney went great with this dosa , you can try with peanut chutney , mint chutney , garlic chutney too.
NOTES :
  1. This batter does not require fermentation , you can make dosa soon after grinding .But as I never like raw smell of batter I always ferment and use.In case you are making dosa with non-fermented batter ,make thick dosas like adai with little chopped onions garnished on top.
  2. Raw rice can be replaced with idli rice too.
    HAPPY COOKING!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou