Skip to main content

RIBBON PAKODA / OLA PAKODA / RICE PAKODA


Hi Everyone,
Now a days we celebrate our festivals with television and with store brought sweets and savories!!
During my childhood days festivals are more delightful when we prepare our sweets in home.So I decided to prepare savories in home for festivals to bring more happiness to my family and also a satisfaction to me too.
Though my husband is not much interested in snacks he likes this Ribbon Pakoda so I decided to give a try.They usually prepare ribbon pakoda using besan flour but somehow I didn’t like the smell of the besan flour and also I don’t have much use of this flour in my kitchen so I don’t want to buy and keep it in stock just for this muruku , So I decided to try with my kitchen ingredients in hand and the result is awesome!!!
Iam so happy to share the same with you tooJ

INGREDIENTS :
Idli rice or raw rice                              –  1 cup
Roasted channa dal / Pottu kadalai   –  1/4 cup
Butter                                                 –  4 tsp (melted)
Salt                                                    –  as required.
Oil                                                      –  for frying
Red chilli powder                               –  2 tsp
Sesame seeds / Ellu                          –  1 tsp
Cumin / Zeera                                    –  1 tsp.
Ajwain seeds / Omam                        –  1 tsp.
 
PREPARATION :
1)  Soak rice for minimum 3 hours and grind it without water or very less water ,It is better if you grind in grinder .If your grinding in mixie then it will be little watery in that case keep the batter in fridge for 5 to 6 hours so that the batter will turn to thick consistency like the below picture.
 
 
2) Grind the roasted channa dal to fine powder.
 
 
3) Add butter , salt, chilli powder,channa dal powder to the batter.
 
 
4) In a pan dry roast sesame seeds , cumin , ajwain till they starts spluttering , then add it to the batter and mix it with hand well .
 
5) After mixing it should be like our chapathi dough.
 
 
6) In a big kadai add the required oil and heat it .
 
 
7) Once oil gets heated take a handful of dough and compress it in the muruku press ( we say it as muruku pidi) and compress it in the oil as below picture in batches.
 
 
 
8) And flip the murukus using the spatula ,when the bubbles in oil subsides filter the muruku from the oil and drain it completely.
 
 
9) Store in airtight container after cooling down.
10) You can enjoy it for a week when stored in airtight container.
 NOTES :
1) Don’t add butter too much it will spoil the entire consistency and taste of muruku.
 
2) If you are using butter right from fridge it will be in solid state , in that case use 2 tsp of butter is enough.
3) Always fry in medium heat.
 
    4) If you like you can add 1/4 tsp of Asafoetida to the dough and mix but I didn't add .
 
HAPPY COOKING!!!
 
 
 
 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou