Skip to main content

SWEET BOONDHI

Hi All,
SWEET BOONDHI!! I started making pongal snacks today itself.At last minute I wont get enough time to make anything.In next two days I have to clean house , everyday chores , take my daughter to school and fro and in middle need to complete my daughter's school project too..So last minute plan never works for me :).
This pongal I planned to make sweet boondhi and ladoo but I dropped the plan of ladoo now.Noone eats sweets much here so I have to gobble everything and add weight :((..So only one sweet for this pongal.
Now coming back to recipe , Sweet boondhi ! When we were kids I tasted it but then I never thought of eating sweet boondhi.Few days before I had it on my relatives house and immediately brought back my childhood memories.So decided to make this boondhi for this HAPPY PONGAL :).
The recipe is as below,

INGREDIENTS :
Besan flour / Kadalai flour- 1 cup.
Cooking soda – 1/8 tsp.
Sugar – 1 1/4 cup.
Water - 1/2 cup+ water for mixing besan flour.
Cardamom – 4 nos ( powdered)
Cashews – 2 tsp
Raisins – 2 tsp.
Rose water – 2 tsp ( optional).
Ghee - 2 tsp.
Oil or ghee – for deep frying.
Green , red or any food colour – a pinch.


METHOD :
  1. In a wide bowl sift besan flour to avoid lumps and add cooking soda ,mix well.

  2. Add water little by little to besan flour and mix to form batter.the batter must be thin enough to flow down easily when dropped.

  3. In separate bowl add the food colour ,add flour batter and mix evenly.

  4. Heat oil or ghee in a wide kadai and when oil reaches high temperature drop a drop of batter to oil and check if it comes up quickly.If done then oil is ready for frying.
  5. Using your perforated spatula ( arithatam in tamil) ,pour the batter through the spatula into the hot oil.The batter should fall in fast drops to oil ( see notes for tips).

  6. Fry in high flame for two mins and flip the boodhis and boil for 2 more mins.
  7. When the boondhis turn crisp , remove from oil and drain well to remove excess oil.
  8. When all the boondhis are fried , fill them in a wide bowl.
  9. In a small kadai heat ghee and fry cashews ,raisins till golden brown and add to fried boondhi.

  10. Now make sugar syrup in a separate vessel . Add sugar and water to a vessel and boil in medium flame till one string consistency. when you touch the sugar syrup between your fingers it should come like a string , Also take a spoonful of sugar syrup and pour it to see the final drop must fall like a string.

    can you see the final drop falls in one sting..
  11. When done add cardamom powder , rose water to sugar syrup and pour it to fried boondhis and mix well.
  12. Let the boondhis rest for minimum 5 hours or overnight till the boondhis absorb the syrup completely and turns dry ( I kept overnight).Give a quick mix in between for every few hours for even absorption.
  13. After 8 hours of resting you can see the boondhis absorbed entire syrup and sugar crystals formed around the boondhis making the booondhi balls dry and shiny.
  14. Empty them in a airtight container and munch as you like.
NOTES :
  1. The batter consistency must be right , When you drop them in oil through spatula it should fall in small balls and not with tailed balls.If the balls got tails then add little water to batter and mix.
  2. And lift the perforated spatula from little higher distance and add the flour , this is done to ensure the balls form even round and to avoid tails.
  3. I did a mistake by frying in small kadai with full of oil , so when i dropped the batter from high distance the hot oil sprinkled out on me and I lost my position and few boondhis lost its shape.So always fry in bigger kadai with half level oil to ensure safe and even frying.
  4. Give enough time for soaking , over night is best .The absorption time may differ depends on the climate so have patience.
Try my Kara boondhi also with the below recipe,
KARABOONDHI.
HAPPY COOKING!!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KADAMBA / KANAVA MASALA /SQUID FISH CURRY

Hi, Sea has lot of creatures in it that we can cook and we were much more unaware of many . Squid fish is one among the yummy species which I was totally unaware even after coming to Chennai.One day in market I saw them and surprised that they are selling octopus ( it looked like that to me :)). Then I surfed in net and found actually they are squid ( kadamba / kanava) and not octopus , My friend Saranya cooked this gravy for us during her visit to our home .I copied the recipe from her and tried next week itself.Though the squid fish looks very weird the taste was so yummy and there is no fish odor in that.It just tasted like mutton. The cleaning part is little tricky but easy, I suggest once you finished cleaning dispose the waste immediately out of your house as the waste from squid fish is very smelly and also it starts leaving water .So dispose the waste of squid as quick as possible. Other than that the fish tastes heaven , spicy, yummy and very easy to cook. I have

WARM WATER CHAPATI / BEGINNER GUIDE FOR SOFT CHAPATI

தமிழில் காண : கிளிக்   Hi All, If you are a beginner in cooking ,then chapati is the toughest task that needs a lot of practice. When I was learning cooking my chapatis will be either crisp like disc or rubbery that you need to dentist after chewing😭 So I try so many versions to make my chapati perfect and this warm water method is one success method , This method is so easy that your chapatis will be very very soft and light. A few tricks to make your chapatis perfectly soft and puffy are , Add water little by little while kneading . Don't knead dough too dry , make slightly sticky dough so that while toasting it comes to perfect softness. The recipe of perfect soft chapati is below, COOKING TIME : 1 hour. SERVES : yields about 10 chapatis INGREDIENTS : Wheat flour – 2 cups. Salt – 1/2 tsp. Warm water – 1 cup ( appx). Oil / ghee – few drops. METHOD : In a wide bowl add wheat flour ,salt and mix , make a well in middle of flou